Auditions for new members are now being scheduled in person or virtually for participation in the Fall 2021 season. To schedule your audition or get more details please email Lynn Staininger with your availability.
Auditions are typically held at the beginning of each semester in room F-145 of the Visual and Performing Arts building on the Frederick Community College campus.
Preparing for the audition
- An auditory memory exercise. The director will play a sequence of 3, 5, and 7 pitches for you, and you will sing them back to the best of your ability.
- A range check: to confirm your voice part.
- Sight Reading: You will be asked to read your part from a choral score, while the director plays the other voice parts. While sight-reading is not mandatory, it is preferred.
CASF holds rehearsals on Tuesday evenings at Frederick Community College, in the Arts Center (Building F), Room 145. Visit the FCC website for detailed directions and parking information.
Our seasons follow the FCC academic school year, with sessions beginning annually in September and January. Choir members are expected to attend rehearsal on a regular basis. Any member missing two or more rehearsals may be required to check your part with the director. You must contact your section leader in the event of an absence.
By joining our organization, you make the commitment to rehearse weekly and perform in all major concerts. You will also be asked to support CASF as a volunteer, which may include serving on committees, participating in fundraising activities, selling tickets, and/or attending additional events.
Volunteering for a committee is not mandatory, but we encourage everyone to participate in at least one committee activity with the understanding that there will be support from the other members of the choir and the organization’s officers. Committee details can be found in the Bylaws of the Choral Arts Society of Frederick County, Inc.
Dues / Music Fees
For community members, dues are $110 per semester which includes the music fee. You will also be responsible for purchasing the proper concert attire.
FCC students taking CASF as a credit class do not have to pay community dues but are responsible for purchasing the music and concert attire. Music costs approximately $40 each semester.
Resources for Current Members
Community Member Dues: $110 per semester (includes $40 music fee)
FCC Student Fee: $40 per semester (music only)
Dues/music fees must be paid by cash, check, or PayPal during the first two rehearsals unless you make other arrangements with the CASF board treasurer.
You can make checks payable to “The Choral Arts Society of Frederick” and either given directly to the board treasurer or mailed to:
The Choral Arts Society of Frederick
P.O. Box 1422
Frederick, MD 21702
Cash can be given to the board treasurer.
If you cannot pay the dues/music fees by the second rehearsal, a written statement must be submitted to the treasurer with an explanation and request for payment arrangement.
Please note: all online orders include up to 6% in order fees to cover online ordering costs.
Pay Online with PayPal
CASF Concert Attire
Choir members are asked to follow the guidelines below for proper concert attire to ensure a unified look of the group in concert. Concert attire standards may be changed at the discretion of the director with the consent of the board in order to more appropriately costume a particular concert. In the event of change the director will notify the choir well in advance of the performace
Please email Laura Rutledge with concert attire questions.
- Black Long-sleeve Dress Shirt
- Black Dress Pants (no denim)
- Black Dress Shoes (not sneakers)
- Black Socks
- Black choral folder or binder with music securely attached
- Jewlery: optional, but limited to; stud earrings; one ring; no bracelets or watches
- Hair: Off the face
- Scents: no hair spray or cologne, but please brush teeth and apply deodorant
- Custom Navy Choral Dress – Purchase through CASF (Students are not required to buy a dress, but must pay the rental fee of $25 and return the dress at the end of the semester.)
- Black Dress Shoes
- Black Stockings
- Music: Black choral folder or binder with music securely attached
- Jewlery: optional, but limited to; stud earrings; single strand white pearls (collar bone length); one ring; no bracelets or watches
- Hair – Off the face, no height or hair ornaments.
- Nails – clear polish or French manicure (at most)
- Make up – eyes: mascara or other eye-defining cosmetics (at most); lipstick: Dark rosy shade (at most); blush (at most); no glitter cosmetics
- Scents: no perfume, hair spray, or cologne, but please brush teeth and apply deodorant
Music is distributed at the first rehearsal for each semester and must be paid for upon receipt. The cost of music is included in your dues/fees. When performing, your music must be firmly secured in a black choral folder or binder.
This Season’s Music
CASF Weekly Rehearsals
CASF meets Tuesday evenings, at FCC in Building F, Room 145. For spring 2021, no in-person rehearsals will be held until further notice.
Concerts and Special Events
*NOTICE: CASF is committed to the health and safety of all members. In response to COVID-19, we plan to follow all Frederick Community College COVID-19 Guidelines.*
Lynn and Sam are working on creating a list of rehearsal links for singers to practice for the Fall 2021 season. All concert dates will be reviewed and revised as more information is available. Thank you for your understanding and patience, please stay healthy and safe.
- August 2-31, new member auditions
- August 9, 2021, 7 p.m. Virtual Board Meeting
- TBD – September Virtual Board Meeting
Generally, CASF Virtual Board meetings are held on the first or second Monday of each month at 7 p.m. If you are a member and would like to attend a board meeting you are welcome to do so; please email [email protected] for the upcoming meeting link.
Community members and students are asked to sign the membership agreement below by the second rehearsal each semester to facilitate an active and respectful community.
As a member of the Choral Arts Society of Frederick, I agree to:
1) Pay the membership dues/music fees in full by the second rehearsal by cash or check. If I am unable to make this payment I must apply, in writing, to the Treasurer to make alternate arrangements.
2) Be present for all weekly rehearsals. If I must miss a rehearsal, I will contact my section leader or choral director by phone or email prior to the rehearsal. FCC students must contact the instructor. If more than two rehearsals are missed, I understand that I must speak to the director regarding the performance. If more than three rehearsals are missed the matter of my participation in the performance will be referred to the board.
3) Attend all mandatory dress rehearsals. Dates can be found in the “important dates” section of the membership webpage. Full concert dress is not required; concert shoes are recommended for proper stage placement. If I miss a dress rehearsal, I understand that my participation in future performances is at the sole discretion of the director.
4) Wear proper attire for performance. Full descriptions of concert attire can be found in the “get concert attire” section of the membership webpage. Failure to do so means I am not eligible to participate in performances.
5) Participate in at least one fundraising activity per semester. Fundraising helps to pay salaries for the director and accompanist, provides fees for performance venues and guest musicians, and assists in general operating expenses that keep dues/music fees low for all members.
6) Volunteer for at least one standing committee or ad hoc committee.
7) Follow circumstantial rules, such as attending additional/special rehearsals, or preparing to assist in set build/tear down, etc. as stated during regular meetings or on the website.