Join the Choir
The Choral Arts Society of Frederick (CASF) is a nonprofit organization open to anyone in the community who enjoys singing. Openings for the full year (September – May) concert season are available, particularly for bass singers. New members may audition for the choir at the beginning of each session (September & January). Skilled sight-readers with good vocal production are preferred.
Auditions – January 28, 2020
Auditions are typically held at the beginning of each semester. For Winter 2020, auditions will be held on January 28 from 7-9 p.m. in room F-145 of the Visual and Performing Arts building on the Frederick Community College campus. If you are unable to attend this date, please email Artistic Director Lynn Staininger to schedule an audition.
For the audition you will be asked to perform the following:
- A Solo. Your solo can be in any style which best showcases your voice. Please bring piano music in the same key.
- An Auditory Exercise. The director will play a sequence of 3, 5 and 7 pitches for you and you will sing them back to the best of your ability. (This part is usually kind of fun.)
- A Range Check. this exercise helps to confirm your voice part. (This part is super easy.)
- Sight Reading. (Usually the dreaded part … just breathe.) You will be asked to read your part from a choral score while the director plays the other voice parts. While sight reading is not mandatory it is preferred.
Rehearsals are held at Frederick Community College on Tuesday evenings from 7:45-10 p.m. Seasons follow the academic school year with sessions beginning annually in September and January.
Frederick Community College, Arts & Student Center (Building F), Room 145. Visit the FCC website for detailed directions and parking information.
Members are expected to attend rehearsal on a regular basis. Any member missing two or more rehearsals may be required to check their part with the director. Singers are asked to contact their section leader in the event of an absence.
By joining our organization, you make the commitment to rehearse weekly and perform in all major concerts. You will also be asked to support CASF as a volunteer, which may include serving on committees, participating in fundraising activities, selling tickets and/or attending additional events.
Volunteering for a committee is not mandatory, but we encourage everyone to participate in at least one committee activity with the understanding that there will be support from the other members of the choir and the organization’s officers. Committee details can be found in the Bylaws of the Choral Arts Society of Frederick County, Inc.
Dues / Music Fees
Dues are $110 per semester for community members, which includes music. Other financial obligations may include purchasing proper concert attire.
FCC students taking CASF as a credit class do not have to pay community dues but are responsible for purchasing their music and concert attire. Music costs approximately $40 each semester.
Resources for Current Members
Dues are $110 per semester for community members (includes music fee) and $40 for FCC students registered for the choir as a credit-bearing class (just music fee).
Dues/music fees must be paid by cash, check, or PayPal during the first two rehearsals unless other arrangements are made. Checks can be made out to “The Choral Arts Society of Frederick” and cash can be given to the board treasurer.
If you cannot pay the dues/music fees by the second rehearsal a written statement may be submitted to the Treasurer with an explanation and request for payment arrangement.
Please note: all online orders include an up to 6% order fee to cover online ordering costs.
Pay Online with PayPal
CASF Concert Attire
Choir members are asked to follow the guidelines below for proper concert attire to ensure a unified look of the group in concert. Concert attire standards may be changed at the discretion of the director with the consent of the board in order to more appropriately costume a particular concert. In the event of change the director will notify the choir well in advance of the performace
Please email Laura Rutledge with concert attire questions.
- Black Long-sleeve Dress Shirt
- Black Dress Pants (no denim)
- Black Dress Shoes (not sneakers)
- Black Socks
- Black choral folder or binder with music securely attached
- Jewlery: optional, but limited to; stud earrings; one ring; no bracelets or watches
- Hair: Off the face
- Scents: no hair spray or cologne, but please brush teeth and apply deodorant
- Custom Navy Choral Dress – Purchase through CASF (Students are not required to buy a dress, but must pay the rental fee of $25 and return the dress at the end of the semester.)
- Black Dress Shoes
- Black Stockings
- Music: Black choral folder or binder with music securely attached
- Jewlery: optional, but limited to; stud earrings; single strand white pearls (collar bone length); one ring; no bracelets or watches
- Hair – Off the face, no height or hair ornaments.
- Nails – clear polish or French manicure (at most)
- Make up – eyes: mascara or other eye-defining cosmetics (at most); lipstick: Dark rosy shade (at most); blush (at most); no glitter cosmetics
- Scents: no perfume, hair spray, or cologne, but please brush teeth and apply deodorant
Music is distributed at the first rehearsal for each semester and must be paid for upon receipt. Music costs are included in the $110 dues paid by community members and costs approximately $40 for FCC students.
Music must be firmly secured in black choral folders or binders for each performance.
This Season’s Music
CASF Weekly Rehearsals
CASF meets Tuesdays, at FCC in Building F, Room 145 from 7:45-10 p.m.
Concerts and Special Events
- Tuesday, Jan. 28 – FCC Students Meet for First Class, New Member Auditions
- Tuesday, Feb. 3, 2020 – CASF First Full Rehearsal; Please arrive at Frederick Community College by 7:30 p.m. for paperwork for this rehearsal only. All rehearsals after this occur every Tuesday at 7:45 p.m. until the final concert unless noted below.
- Tuesday, Feb. 3 – Glory Days Fundraiser Begins; Three Rivers Fundraiser Begins
- Monday, Feb. 10 – CASF Board Meeting
- Monday, Feb. 24 – Uno’s Pizza Fundraiser
- Monday, March 2 – CASF Board Meeting
- Tuesday, March 3 – Glory Days Fundraiser Ends (please submit receipts within 7 days)
- Monday, April 6 – CASF Board Meeting
- Thursday, April 19 – MOD Pizza Fundraiser
- Wednesday, March 25 – Coal Fire Pizza Fundraiser
- Tuesday, April 21 – Dress Rehearsal
- Friday, April 24 at 7:30 p.m. (call 6 p.m.) – Spring Concert: Unapologetic Songs of the Sea
- Saturday, April 25 at 3 p.m. (call 1:30 p.m.) – Spring Concert: Unapologetic Songs of the Sea
- Thursday, April 30 – Three Rivers Fundraiser Ends
- Sunday, July 5–Monday, July 13 – Scotland Tour
Generally CASF Board meetings held the first or second Monday of each month at 7:30 p.m. (location varies.) If you are a member and would like to attend a board meeting you are welcome to do so; please contact a board member for the upcoming meeting location.
Community members and students are asked to sign the membership agreement below by the second rehearsal each semester to facilitate an active and respectful community.
As a member of the Choral Arts Society of Frederick, I agree to:
1) Pay the membership dues / music fees in full by the second rehearsal by cash or check. If I am unable to make this payment I must apply, in writing, to the Treasurer to make alternate arrangements.
2) Attend all weekly rehearsals. If I must miss a rehearsal, I will contact my section leader or choral director by phone or email prior to the rehearsal. FCC students must contact the instructor. If more than two rehearsals are missed, I understand that I must speak to the director regarding the performance. If more than three rehearsals are missed the matter of my participation in the performance will be referred to the board.
3) Attend all mandatory dress rehearsals. Dates can be found in the “important dates” section of the membership webpage. Full concert dress is not required; concert shoes are recommended for proper stage placement. If I miss a dress rehearsal, I understand that my participation in future performances is at the sole discretion of the director.
4) Wear proper attire for performance. Full descriptions of concert attire can be found in the “get concert attire” section of the membership webpage. Failure to do so means I am not eligible to participate in performances.
5) Participate in at least one fundraising activity per semester. Fundraising helps to pay salaries for the director and accompanist, provides fees for performance venues and guest musicians, and assists in general operating expenses that keep dues/music fees low for all members.
6) Volunteer for at least one standing committee or ad hoc committee.
7) Follow any circumstantial rules, such as attending additional/special rehearsals, or preparing to assist in set build/tear down, etc. as stated during regular meetings or on the website.